Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Sunday Haul- Three More Books

About two years ago William Dalrymple was in Hyderabad to read from his new book- The White Mughals, at the Taj Krishna, where incidentally, I had an encounter with Sania Mirza in a lift. It was an interesting event, and after the reading was over I resolved to buy and read ‘The White Mughals.' However, I never got to buy the book though I read his other writings here and there. But this Sunday I got lucky. I found an almost brand new copy of another of his books- 'The Age of Kali.' I got the book for fifty five rupees which was a bit steep for my budget.

Lying next to ‘The Age of Kali’ on the pavement was a book by another writer I had not yet read. It was Pavan K. Verma’s ‘Being Indian’ which again, I got for fifty rupees. The bookseller seemed to have figured out from something about me that I was eager to buy the two books so he quoted the high figures. I did not want to bargain and paid what he asked for. Both the books were in extremely good condition. I was pleased I landed a nice haul so early in the day.

The next find was in a heap of books selling for only ten rupees. The book was by a writer I had read about only very recently. I tried hard to remember but I was unable to recollect which writer was mentioning Jay McInerney in an article on writing. I had found ‘The Last of the Savages’ and from the reviews on the back of the book it appeared to be a book not to be missed. Plus it was also for only ten rupees. So I bought it taking the Sunday's haul to three.

No comments: