Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Sunday Haul


Finding another Book

I had not really meant to pick another book last Sunday but I couldn’t help picking up what I found at Abids. I had missed the Abids trip on the first Sunday of the year and on the second Sunday I had made a rather hurried trip late in the afternoon though picked up three magazines. It doesn’t really feel like a real trip until I spend more than two hours at Abids spending time looking over a lot of books. So it was with a lot of eagerness that I was at Abids on Sunday much before eleven in the morning because later in the evening I was starting on a short trip, my first in the New Year. I had thought of keeping my resolve of not buying any book but it was impossible.

Somewhere in the middle of the trip at Abids I found a travel book by a writer which was tantalizingly sub-titled ‘A Writer’s Year in the Bearn.’ Normally I find it impossible to resist buying travelogues but when it is listed as ‘Writer’s Year’ than it is totally impossible to ignore it. I haven’t heard of Celia Brayfield’s ‘Deep France’ before but on finding it I thought I’d better buy it. So I got it, though for only ten rupees which for a book published in 2004 is quite a bargain. The book was almost brand new and promised to be a good read on the lines of ‘A Year in Provence’ and ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’, both of which I have with me.

Inside, I read that Celia Brayfield has written nine novels and two books of non-fiction. One of her non-fiction books is ‘Bestseller’, a guide to story telling in fiction which sounds very interesting. It seems her ‘Pearls’ is a bestseller but I don’t seem to have to come across it anywhere but now I can look forward to coming across it somewhere soon. ‘Deep France’ was the only book I picked up last Sunday and I was content finding just one good book.

No comments: