Friday, March 06, 2009

The Sunday Haul




Three Good Books

One of the earliest poets and the one who impressed me the most was the poet Sylvia Plath. I don’t remember any of her poems since I read them long, long back and also haven’t read any recently. But she is such a good poet that I would read anything she wrote. So when I came upon ‘The Bell Jar’, the only novel she wrote, I did not hesitate to buy it. I had read about it somewhere but wasn’t exactly looking for it but when I found it at Abids I was happy. It was a brand new copy and I got it for only twenty rupees. I plan to read it sometime soon.

The other book I picked up at Abids was one I had seen the previous Sunday but did not buy. It was AK Ramanujan’s ‘A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India’ which is a delightful collection of folk tales. AK Ramanujan is another writer I had read long time back. A bonus of buying the book is the number of stories in it.

The final book was, again, a memoir by a famous writer. It was Pete Hamill’s ‘The Drinking Life’ that I got for only twenty rupees. It is about the Hamill’s drinking habit and his attempts to get rid of it. Curiously enough, I haven’t read a single book by Pete Hamill. I guess I will begin to look for his books if ‘The Drinking Life’ is any good, which it should be, going by the title!

1 comment:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Vinod...'the flowering tree' is a great book...a good find...you will enjoy every story...and since folk tales belong to the oral tradition, you will also enjoy retelling these stories to your son...and he too will enjoy them... happy story telling sessions!

Jai