Friday, April 03, 2009

Another Milestone

I had not really noticed it but a few posts back I crossed the 350 posts mark on the blog. It doesn’t seem such a big achievement but I think it still is something worth celebrating about. Another three months and this blog would be two years old. It had been my original plan to do five hundred posts by the time the blog turns two. But somewhere in the middle I realized producing quick posts isn’t the way to do a blog so I gave up on the plan. Even if I do three posts a week I may not be able to reach the four hundred posts mark. However, I might try going for the goal of four hundred posts in the next four months writing as many posts (good ones) as I can.

Even though I have been at it for more than a year and half it doesn’t fail to amaze me that I am writing this sort of stuff that some people (generous ones) are reading quite regularly. I hardly get twenty hits on the blog daily which isn’t something to boast about but what I can boast is that there are a few people who visit this blog unfailingly. I don’t have any software to know who they are but I know since they themselves have written to tell me. I am naturally grateful to them for sparing a few minutes to read the stuff I am putting up on the blog. I am encouraged by their attention and also by their comments, to improve my writing which no matter how many books on writing I read, doesn’t seem to be getting any better than this.

The biggest bonus of writing a blog isn’t something tangible. It improves one’s chances of finding good friends. I have been extremely lucky to make friends with the sort of people I normally wouldn’t come across in my bureaucratic life. Some of the friends I made through this blog have turned out to be truly amazing, highly intelligent and extremely warm individuals. If it hadn’t been for this blog I would have never met them in my life. For that reason alone, I like to applaud myself for having taken at least one bright decision in my life- that of doing this blog.

There had been several instances when I felt like giving up writing this blog. Those were moments when I was disappointed and in low moods. But when I recollect that a lot of people (less than twenty, exactly) would be disappointed at not finding my blog I overcame that feeling and went on writing the posts, good or bad. It is sort of addictive, blogging I mean. One is always on the look out for ‘blog moments’ which can be converted into posts. I am lucky in that I love books and reading which alone is enough for me to produce posts on books, authors and so on. But I also (though I am quite a boring bureaucrat) happen to have developed the habit of keeping my ears and my eyes open all the time which has led me into some fairly interesting situations that I can write about.

Next Post on Monday: Getting Trained for the Elections

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking about us, when you felt like "giving up writing this blog". A few other blogs I regularly read have been shutdown recently and the disappointment, that overcame me, is inexpressible.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Hey, thanks. Keep reading.


Vinod