Friday, June 26, 2009

Gobblers Paradise

Last Saturday the moment I read in the papers that not one but two new restaurants have opened in Jubilee Hills I immediately sent up prayers for the poor souls of Jubilee Hills. It isn’t even a full month since a new restaurant had opened in that area. I think hardly half the Jubilee Hills crowd must have finished checking out the food in that place before the news of the two new places popped up. They must have let out a collective groan on hearing about the opening of these two restaurants. I guess it isn’t being easy being a resident of Jubilee Hills. There are a lot of expectations and obligations that one has to be prepared for. I guess it comes with the territory.


Two hotels (Siaah and N Grill) opening on the same day in the same locality must reckon as a record even by Jubilee Hills standards. But for the crowd that lives (and works) there it must be a pretty routine thing. However, I guess the poor sods in Jubilee Hills must be weary trudging from one place to another for lunch, cocktails, dinner and so on, almost every day. It must be quite taxing for them, this daily routine but as I said earlier, it is one of the hazards of living in such localities. What with so many restaurants opening with such regularity, I guess pretty soon there will be more hotels in Jubilee Hills than homes.

Somehow I don’t feel like eating out at restaurants whose name don’t make any sense to me. (Maybe there are people in Jubilee Hills who know what ‘Siaah’ means which is one reason why the hotel was opened there in the first place.) What exactly does ‘Siaah’ mean? What does N signify? Nothing or Nitwits? I want to know before I pay the bill. Whatever the name, the Jubilee Hills crowd dutifully graces these places regularly however burdensome it might be, because they think it is their bounden duty to live up to the expectations of the hoteliers.

I’m glad I am not bound by any such obligation to drop in there. One reason why I cannot dine out at such places is my wallet doesn’t allow it. The other reason is the dread that I may be stopped at the door and asked to return only after putting on weight and growing a big enough paunch to do justice to the fare.

2 comments:

Space Bar said...

Yes, well. I'd rather have a place where I can have a dosa that doesn't make me wish I'd bought a book instead.

No thalis in jubilee hills, no udipis, no place where a cup of coffee costs less than 60 bucks.

there are people living here who don't trudge from one cocktail serving place to another, you know.

Vinod Ekbote said...

In that case think of moving out of JH :)