Friday, August 21, 2009

The Two Sunday's Haul





Sometimes my curiosity is greater than a cat’s. I’ve never seen an Apple Mac in my life except in the office of a film producer I briefly worked with. No one I knew seemed to work on Macs. I knew they were fast machines and expensive as hell. One of the dreams I have is to buy an Apple Mac laptop. Last Sunday I found ‘Mac World’ a magazine about everything Apple Mac. I saw pictures of Mac Pro Notebooks, the Mac Air, the thin lightweight laptop and every other Mac accessory and software that I did not even know existed. I am quite inept and also ignorant when it comes to electronic gadgets and their workings so Mac World gave me the opportunity to fill some of the gaps in my knowledge. I got it for only ten bucks but was worth the information I found in it though it was the October 2008 issue.

But another magazine I found was the July 2009 issue of Vanity Fair which had Johnny Depp on the cover. It was the latest issue which I got for only ten bucks again. It had three stories of financial fraudsters and one named Allen Stanford had sponsored an Indian golfer, Vijay Singh I read in it. It also had Part III of the Madoff Chronicles, the saga of the billionaire fraudster Bernie Madoff and the people who trusted him with their fortunes of whom Steven Spielberg is a familiar name.

Another high brow magazine I found was the December 8, 2008 issue of ‘The New Yorker which I hadn’t time to read properly. It had a short review of ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ which is called ‘an old fashioned, sentimental cliffhanger’ movie. I haven’t seen the movie so I cannot tell if it is true. The cartoons in this magazine are something I love.

The other Sunday I found not one but two issues of ‘Conde Nast Traveller.’ I found the May 2006 and December 2006 issues for only thirty bucks for the two. The December issue had a story by Jeremy Hart about driving a car in Mumbai’s chaotic traffic. He would lose his mind if he ever happened to drive in Hyderabad’s traffic. The two magazines had the usual gorgeous pictures of equally gorgeous locations and dishes.

Another travel related magazine, a new one, I found was ‘Coastal Living’ that is said to be ‘the magazine for people who love the coast.’ The magazine was entirely about life of the rich, the sort who can afford million dollar homes on some of the finest coasts in the US. Some of the houses are so lavishly furnished that they would make the Jubilee Hills houses like slum dwellings.

The best buy of the previous Sunday was, of course, Elmore Leonard’s ‘Bandits’ that I got for twenty bucks. I picked it up though I have a better copy with me. I had also seen ‘Glitz’ but I reserved it for another Sunday, the next maybe.

No comments: