Friday, January 08, 2010

First Haul of the New Year

It was with a great deal of eagerness that I set out for Abids on the first Sunday of the New Year hoping to land a good haul, at least two books on the sunny morning that looked promising. After seeing the piles of scores of books lying around in the house, unread, I resolved to buy just one or two books a week at Abids during the year, and also not to buy a second or multiple copies of titles I already possess. But, the year’s first find was a second copy of a book by an author I simply cannot resist reading- Elmore Leonard.

When I saw the hardcover copy of Elmore Leonard’s ‘Touch’, lying among almost-new hardcover copies of novels of Stephen King, John le Carre and others, in a heap selling for thirty rupees I did not have the heart to leave the book behind. I bought it after I told myself that I’d keep the hardcover copy for myself and give away the paperback copy. So until I find someone who is in need of a good dose of some first class writing the two copies of ‘Touch’ stay with me.

I can imagine myself doing a lot of unlikely things like riding a horse (though I can’t), climbing a mountain, or even winning the Booker (ha, ha) I cannot ever imagine myself running. So I really do not understand what’s making me pick up magazines on running. After buying ‘Touch’ I once again bought a fairly recent issue of a running magazine, ‘Runner’s World’ I guess it was, for only ten rupees. Maybe in the near future I might begin running. In the magazine was an interesting article for beginner runners and another article on the various types of running shoes with their photographs, available in the market. They look so attractive I am tempted to take up running just for the pleasure of wearing the shoes.

Here’s the first downer of the year. Yesterday while passing through East Marredpally I noticed that Hyderabad’s smallest book store (that I’d written about in an earlier post) located in a petrol outlet has shut shop. It is really a surprise given the fact that new ones are opening in other areas. It’s the East Marredpally folks who are the real losers.

3 comments:

Tim Dorsey said...

the closing of a bookstore is a mournful occurrence. one can only feel sorrow that such things happen in a world we must inhabit.

phaedra said...

ive been meaning to tell you about this before it became stale news :). I feel bad I didnt go in even once

Vinod Ekbote said...

Alex, S, I feel sad that I've been to that store just once.