Tuesday, July 27, 2010

FEVER 101

For someone who spends more time out of the house than inside it is quite difficult to be confined within the four walls all day. Only two things keep me indoors- bad weather and ill health. As if determined to keep me house bound for some time a combination of both had me not only indoors but bedridden for the past three days. Sometime last week while returning from a village on a bike I was caught unawares by a sharp shower. Even before I could find a shelter in the open I was drenched totally. The tree under which I stood until the rain stopped wasn’t much help. A couple of hours later the sneezes began and before long the fever was on its way. The next day when I got home after cutting short my trip the fever had taken hold.

Some experiences however minor alter one’s perceptions permanently and some only temporarily. Whenever I’m not well, especially when I am down with a fever my perception of everything changes. Though many in this State are suffering from seasonal fevers I imagine that I am the only one suffering (horribly at that)from fever. The mind goes into some kind of a state of its own churning out vague fantasies only one of which is related to my state of health. According to this fantasy I am rushed in an ambulance to the hospital, an oxygen mask strapped to my face and various tubes running in and out of my nose. The doctor says, ‘He’ll live but the fever will be permanent.’ It is when I start getting this fantastic dream that I begin to doubt if the pills my trusted homeopath gave me will work or not. Being a Sunday I do not have to worry about going to office but feel sad that I have to miss the trip to Abids. It does little to cheer me up that it is raining outside. The silver lining is that others too won’t be visiting Abids.

When at work I sometimes like to imagine lying in bed all day and sleeping like a log. At such times I wish I could catch a fever and get the deserved rest. But when the fever comes it is a different story. A fever brings its own troubles. The body aches all over and as if it is not enough, the head feels like there is a huge rock inside it. Which aren’t exactly the sort of conditions that will bring you fitful sleep. You toss and turn and toss and turn and lull yourself into a bit of a short nap before waking up again and lie staring at the ceiling until morning. And this time I couldn’t even do any reading unlike the last time when I managed to finish a couple of books in the couple of days that I was in bed with fever.

On the third day the small white pills begin to take effect and the fever comes down. The body aches disappear and the head feels as if it belongs to me. Outside, the weather too has improved with the skies clearing up into its normal blue state with the sun just beginning to come out. It is a sign that I should move out of bed and go outdoors.

No comments: