Wednesday, March 16, 2011

An Unexpected Encounter

How is one expected to feel on coming face to face with someone one’s helped to be arrested? I had thought I would come across this person, only in the safe confines of a court in the reassuring presence of cops, judges and lawyers, he in the accused’s box and myself in the witness box. But I had not expected such an unexpected and premature encounter with the senior cop arrested by a team of Anti Corruption cops of which I was an undeniable part a long time ago.

More than two and half years ago, in December, 2008 to be exact, I was to become, quite by accident, the prime Government witness (by virtue of my seniority, rank and also the fact that I’d drawn the statement of proceedings) a civilian member of anti-corruption cops tracking a corrupt official. The operation resulted in the arrest of a senior policeman of the rank of an Assistant Commissioner of Police on a busy street after a dramatic chase which must count as one of the high points of my career. Given the circumstances under which he was caught red-handed accepting a bribe of fifty thousand rupees, while on duty wearing his uniform and in his official vehicle, I thought the cop was a goner and had not expected to see him for a long, long time. I thought it would be years before he would be allowed to wear the uniform and put on duty.

But there he was, in full uniform complete with pistol in its holster, looking a bit fatter, on duty at the Legislative Council. He sat at the entrance gates through which I had to pass. There was no way I could escape his eyes because he was watching over other cops frisking the visitors. When I first saw him I had the uncomfortable realization that, like elephants, cops have long memories. In fact, all cops are trained to remember faces. I wondered if he would remember my face after two and half years. If I were in his place I would certainly not forget the face of someone who was present when I was arrested in such a dramatic manner. In fact no one with even the minutest sense of shame would have forgotten any face that stared at him while he was being arrested. But it looked like this cop did not even recognize me. I wondered if it wasn’t the same cop but when I saw the name on the badge on his chest I knew I was not wrong. This cop was the same one who was introduced to me and who sat before me while I recorded his statement, the same cop who was later sent to a lock up on the same night he was arrested. I couldn’t believe I was there that night, a witness to his complete humiliation by fellow policemen when they led him away to the jail.


As I neared the gates of the Legislative Council and stood before the metal detector I had visions of the cop drawing out his pistol, pumping bullets into my chest and laughing even as I lay bleeding to death. Nothing of that sort happened though as I passed through without looking at him. I knew he was watching me while I was patted down but strangely what was in my mind was how many people around me knew the cop in their midst had spent time in jail.

My only guess is that he must have spent some time in jail, had been suspended and must have requested to be put on duty until the court proved him guilty. It’s been more than three weeks since my daily encounters with this corrupt cop but not once did he give a sign that he had recognized me. But I do feel damn nervous every time I pass by. I have another two weeks of this ordeal and I hope our next encounter will only be in the court.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

Ah, the hazards of the occupation. But maybe he is not such a good cop anyway and probably has no memory of the incident. Or, like the elephants, he probably has a long memory and a thick skin as well.

Vinod Ekbote said...

You're right, Hari. Long memory, thick skin and zero brains.