Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Food, Coffee, and Wine Post

Here’s something for those eagerly awaiting news of the latest on the restaurant scene in Jubilee Hills. ‘Bimas’ of Tirupati, I’ve read recently, has opened a branch in Jubilee Hills. From what I know of the Jubilee Hills crowd most likely Bimas was forced to open a branch because they cannot afford to go to Tirupati every time they feel an urge to eat a masala dosa. Whatever, that’s one more eatery for the Jubilee Hills crowd to indulge in as if there aren’t enough places already for them to stuff themselves to the gills. As usual it has caused me some heartburn though not as much as in the past when I read about other posh eateries opening in Jubilee Hills. That is because the report also mentioned that Bimas plans to open another branch in Secunderabad soon, something which already has begun to make my mouth water since Secunderabad is a stone’s throw from Musheerabad where I, fortunately or unfortunately, happen to live.

CCD in MSRD

Musheerabad, by the way, has made its appearance on the Café Coffee Day map with an outlet that has opened sometime in the past without me being aware of such a thing. Until now there was nothing in Musheerabad to have felt proud about unless a jail in the neighborhood counts for such a thing. Now that even the jail has been shifted there was nothing to crow about until CCD decided it was time Musheerabad got another landmark. I haven’t yet been there though I wonder who would drop in at a Café Coffee Day outlet in Musheerabad, of all the places. I doubt it even if the medicos from Gandhi Medical College that’s on the other side of the road drop in there. So far I haven’t felt an urge to drink a seventy five rupee coffee there and when I do I will certainly write about it here.

Talking of Café Coffee Day, the other day I saw a small hoarding advertising the opening of two new CCD outlets. The tone of the ad suggested that now that CCD has opened its outlets in Charminar and Golconda these places would finally be getting some visitors as if there are people in Hyderabad who won’t venture to any place where there are no CCD outlets. There might be such people but they are most likely to be the Jubilee Hills types. They are the sort, when you tell them where you live, don’t mind asking you if there is a CCD outlet in your locality. Luckily, Musheerabad has now one in case anyone from Jubilee Hills decides to venture this far though what business they might have in Musheerabad is something I cannot figure out.

'Wine?'No Thanks

Moving from coffee to a different kind of drink, I read recently somewhere that there was a wine tasting event in the city. Yes, a wine tasting event. Though I have no idea of who attended it I am sure, except a handful, everyone who flocked there must have driven down all the way from Jubilee Hills. Châteaux Bordeaux sounds exactly like the sort of thing that the Jubilee Hills crowd likes to sip, and also be seen holding in their hands at some party hosted by the rich and snotty types who are to be mostly found in places like Jubilee Hills. I’m sure half of that crowd can’t tell a raisin from a grape. The wine tasting event was obviously a marketing gimmick by Sula wines. But sadly, they seemed to have overlooked one little thing. Even if the people are from Jubilee Hills or other equally snooty types they are, after all, Hyderabadis. And no true Hyderabadi, being Irani chai-beer-whisky swilling types, would even bother to touch something like wine even if it is given away free. If there’s another wine-tasting event in Hyderabad, that would be a miracle.

1 comment:

Rajendra said...

ha, ha, the wine bit is hilarious. You have the pulse of the Hyderabadi.