Friday, May 27, 2011

A Bookless Week

The other Sunday after I picked up China Mieville’s ‘Perdido Station Street’ which was a 900-plus page tome I decided against buying any more books for a while, at least until I finished reading about a dozen books. Though that was the decision, not to buy books, it did not mean that I could not go to Abids because no matter what, that is one thing I cannot stop myself from doing. Quite ironically, it so happened that I could not go to Abids last Sunday. The kid was down with fever and so I had to take him to the doctor who gave us a noon appointment which was neither here nor there. It was too hot to go in the afternoon and so I altogether dropped the idea of going to Abids last Sunday and stayed at home.

Without the usual visit to Abids it did not feel to me like a Sunday at all. I felt that something was missing. I tried to fill the gap by reading as many Sunday papers as possible which only sharpened the feeling of deprivation after I read the book reviews. I realized it would have been enough if I had merely driven to Abids and come back after a glance at all the books. It also did not help that on NDTV Profit the one program I look forward to- Just Book- was not telecast. I wonder why they decide to do such a thing that damages their credibility. In place of Just Books was a program on the latest gadgets as if they are somehow superior to books.

All through the week I went around feeling oddly empty in some corner of the heart. There was an imbalance that somehow upset the whole week and one that I did not try to correct by visiting an used book store which I normally do. But the only silver lining was coming across the mention of a book that I feel I must buy. I do not now remember where I read about Ryan Van Meter’s ‘If You Knew Then What I Know Now’ but it is one title I want to buy even if it costs me a bomb. I don’t know how I intend to lay my hands on this book but right now all I want is the next few days to fly by so I can wake up to a Sunday filled with books.

2 comments:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Vinod...in case Rs.567/- is not that bomb-ish, then check this out... http://www.flipkart.com/search-book?dd=0&query=If+You+Knew+Then+What+I+Know+Now&vertical=book&autosuggest%5Bas%5D=off&autosuggest%5Bas-submittype%5D=default-search&autosuggest%5Bas-grouprank%5D=0&autosuggest%5Bas-overallrank%5D=0&Search=Search&selmitem=

Jai

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai, thanks for checking it out for me. The price is megabombish for me. Will buy it soon.