Friday, June 17, 2011

The Sunday Haul- Two Mags and Three Books





It had been quite sometime since I had come across one of my favourite magazines- the Conde Nast Traveler- at Abids. The last time I found it was almost three months ago in March. So when I saw the March 2011 issue of Conde Nast Traveler last Sunday at Abids I picked it up feeling quite happy I’d get to read about travel though I am not doing much of it of late. There was another surprise in store when I found the April 2011 issue a little later with another seller.

Finding the two issue of CNT seemed a sign that I was in for a good haul of books though I wasn’t really keen to buy any book. It is becoming hard for me not to pick up any books at Abids on Sundays. Perhaps the only solution to this craziness would be to stop going to Sundays. Otherwise if I go to Abids I cannot return without a book in my hand. This Sunday I came back with three more books apart from the two issue of Conde Nast Traveler.

The first book I found was Amit Choudhry’s ‘Freedom Song’ that I got for thirty rupees. It is a bit difficult to find second hand copies of books by modern Indian authors at Abids. The other week I had found ‘Lunatic in My Head’ and this week it was ‘Freedom Song.’ I had also spotted Tishani Doshi’s ‘The Pleasure Seekers’ last Sunday but this Sunday I could not locate it.

The second find of the day was Jonathan Raban’s ‘Arabia’ which appeared familiar to me. After some hesitation I finally bought the book for fifty rupees. Later after I got home and went through my list I found that I already possess a copy of the same title. I had forgotten that I had bought it three years ago for thirty rupees. I did not regret it though since there is always someone who likes to read travelogues.

The last find of the day was Elmore Leonard’s ‘Out of Sight’ that I found in a heap of books selling for twenty rupees. I already have copies of this book but this copy had a different cover. I was surprised to find that ‘Out of Sight’ was made into a movie starring George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez. Now I want to reread ‘Out of Sight’ once again and try to find the DVD of the movie and watch it. How dumb of me not to have known about the movie!

No comments: