Friday, June 01, 2012

The Sunday Haul



Unlike most other days last Sunday it was cloudy that made the morning pleasantly cool. Apart from the weather there was Uma, Srikanth and my kid with me on the book hunt at Abids. Despite all this there hung on my head some kind of despondency I was unable to shrug off. Being No. 2 is taking a silent toll which is showing up in my demeanour. I’m silent and introspective most of the time. I thought the outing on Sunday would lighten me up and lighten I did after finding two good books.

The first find was ‘In Praise of Older Women’ by Stephen Vizinczey which I had read about quite a number of times. Though I wasn’t exactly looking forward to reading I couldn’t stop myself from buying it considering the fact that it was a hard cover copy that I had to pay only twenty rupees for. I have to make the time to read it sometime soon.

By noon the sun was out and it turned too warm. At the seller near GPO I spotted a nice copy of P. Sainath’s ‘Everybody Loves a Good Drought’. I had found a copy of the same title but with a different cover a couple of months ago. In fact I am in the middle of reading the book and I want to write a review after I finish it. This copy that I thought was terrific turned out to be a slightly hasty decision. Some of the inside pages were stained and in my eagerness of finding it I hadn’t forgotten to flip through the pages and take a good look before deciding to buy it. I paid a hundred rupees for it but I guess it is still worth it. I have in mind someone I plan to give it to.

1 comment:

Rajendra said...

In praise of Older Men would me more like it - one for us!