Friday, January 04, 2013

The Sunday Haul- Adding to the 2012 Tally

By the time I posted about the 2012 book haul last Friday I had bought 93 books in all during the year and I did not expect to add anymore to the pile. However, I had not intended to pick up any books at Abids on the last Sunday of the year but merely to browse and return empty handed. In fact I had almost given the Abids trip a miss but there I was at Abids though my two friends couldn’t make it. The last Sunday of the year was no different from the previous ones except that it was a sunny day and bode well for those looking for a good book to take home.

Two minutes into the lonely hunt I came across a book that was in my ‘To Read’ list. I had read a review of ‘One Day’ by David Nicholls somewhere on the net sometime last year that said the book was worth a read. I did not expect to find it. It was quite a surprise to spot the book on top of a heap of books. It was a brand new copy and without any blemish. I got it for forty rupees. The book has also been made into a movie it seems which is another reason to have bought the book. Only thing is I have to find time to read it.

The second find of the Sunday was a copy of the classic, ‘The Snow Leopard’ by Peter Matthiessen, that I have read more than a couple of times ever since I bought it several years ago. It is a timeless book that transports one to a different world. I have two copies of the book but I bought this copy for a friend. Another motivating factor in buying the book was that it was for sale for twenty rupees only. It was a pretty good copy without any fault save a small tear on the cover which isn’t such a big thing when all the pages between the covers are intact and in good condition.

With these two books the 2012 haul goes up to ninety five books which is still far less than what I had bought in the previous couple of years.

3 comments:

Rajendra said...

Better luck for a bigger score. Hope the cricket team is not influencing you! :)

Vinod Ekbote said...

Raja, I've scored enough. Don't plan to score more than fifty in 2013.

Unknown said...

I just love reading Books, Comics, Poems and Articles with updated stuff. I read some of your articles all are just awesome and highlights the reality of the World. If one goes through your articles he/she must definitely like your stuff and would be inspired like me. Honestly I became a big fan of you. Thanks for creating such a beautiful mirror to see this world.
Thanks
Mobile Help Forum