Friday, June 21, 2013

The Sunday Haul


It was another pleasant Sunday morning with cloudy skies and gusts of wind. I had not read about any exciting new writer in the Sunday papers so I did not hope to find any new books. I made a vague decision to try not to buy any books at Abids. But even before I could reach Abids I found two books at Chikkadpally that I felt I must buy. One of the titles was one that I had already bought recently but hadn’t written about it here. Shrikant had borrowed it and hence I did not write about it. I found a good copy of Sri Sri’s ‘Maha Prasthanam’ which I decided to give to Shrikant. I also found Sri Sri’s Khadga Srushti’ that I wanted to read. They were slim titles and I got them for just thirty rupees.

At Abids even before I could have tea with Uma I found a book. It wasn’t exactly a good start considering my vague decision. I consoled myself saying that it was a very good book that I had found. Apart from the weather another pleasant thing was that I met Jai once again at Abids. I am sure the Abids bug has got Jai since he was looking at the books pretty closely on his second visit after his recent visit sometime last month.

A long time back I had bought a copy of Ken Kesey’s ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ at Abids. It wasn’t such a good copy so when I saw this nice Penguin copy of the same book I couldn’t resist picking it up. I got the book for only sixty rupees. Later, I saw other books including ‘Snows of Kilimanjaro’ by Hemingway and ‘Girl 20’ by Kingsley Amis that I had planned to buy. But I did not feel like picking them up for some reason.

No comments: