Friday, July 19, 2013

The Sunday Haul

On Saturday, which was a holiday for us because it was a second Saturday I had to go to the office. Afterwards, in the afternoon I went to the Best Book Centre store in Lakdikapul. There I found another Jean Rhys title- ‘After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie’ that I got for only forty rupees which was quite a surprise since in that store no book comes for less than Rs 100. This is the third Jean Rhys title that I have managed to find, the first two being ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ and ‘Tigers are Better Looking’ being the second book and which I found at Dehra Dun last month.
After a long time, with my two companions away, I had to go alone on the book hunt at Abids on Sunday. Without company to distract I thought I’d be able to look keenly and pick up some nice titles I might have otherwise missed. But even after more than an hour into the browsing I couldn’t find anything. It was slow going, moving from one seller to another seller because the toe straps of my chappal had given away. It was difficult to walk so I made it slowly to the GPO. It was while I was getting it fixed that I walked around barefoot for some time to look for the books at the seller near the GPO. I found another Spenser title. It was ‘Walking Shadow’ by Robert B. Parker. I got the book for fifty rupees.

No comments: