Friday, July 04, 2014

The Sunday Haul

Last Sunday every minute since the moment I opened my eyes in the morning was filled with anxiety about my visit to Abids. The Sunday before, I had foolishly left behind two titles by Romesh Gunesekera that I had seen on the pavements. After Jai told me I should have picked them up I felt even more anxious since it was more likely that the books would have been already snapped up by others. On Sunday when reaching Chikkadpally when I did not see the book at the seller’s where I had seen it I felt really disappointed. The book I had seen at Abids, ‘The Match,’ too would have been taken by someone I thought.
But, as I never tire of saying, when it comes to books I am lucky. I was glad to find the copy of Romesh Gunesekera’s ‘The Match’ at the same place I had seen it the previous Sunday. Only after I had it in my hands did I feel some kind of relief. I didn’t bargain with the seller and paid the fifty rupees he asked for it.
The second book I found was yet another copy of ‘Dave Barry’s Complete Guide to Guys’ by Dave Barry that I found with a different seller. It was a wonderful copy and I couldn’t resist buying it though I have three copies with me at home. I got it for only thirty rupees. I have given away many copies of Dave Barry’s books to friends and others and I always pick up his books whenever I find them at Abids or at second hand book stores.

4 comments:

Rajendra said...

Congrats on both finds.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thanks, Raja. If you haven't read Dave Barry's book let me know.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Good for you Vinod...you managed to salvage one Romesh Gunesekera novel...keep your eyes peeled for 'Reef,' 'Heaven's Edge,' and 'Monkfish Moon'... his writing is exquisite...though 'Match' may not have have reached the level of 'Reef' and 'Heaven's Edge'...

As for Dave Barry...jai ho Barry bhai...

kya hai...doich mila?

Vinod Ekbote said...

The other title seems to have been taken.
Bhai, do ich bahut ho gaye. Do din ke baad aur paanch miley. Baad mein likhtaun uska khabar.