Friday, April 01, 2016

The Sunday Haul (on 27-03-2016)


Last Sunday, despite having had to attend the Legislative Sessions for the third consecutive Sunday, I managed to squeeze a quick visit to Abids lasting a couple of hours. Though the sun beat down mercilessly I felt glad to be among fellow book lovers browsing on the pavements of Abids hoping to fnd at least a couple of titles to take make up for the disappointment of not being able to come to Abids since two Sundays. I was even prepared to return from Abids because I felt being at Abids was just enough. Finding a good title would have been a bonus I thought and in the end that was exactly what I found- a good title.
A long time back, maybe a decade and half ago I read my first le Carre title. It was ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ and after reading it I decided to buy all the books John le Carre had written. I had with me his bestseller ‘The Spy Who Came in from the Cold’ that I somehow misplaced. A couple of months ago I had found a good copy of this title. Last Sunday I came across another copy that I could not resist buying so I ended up picking it. It happened to be the only book I bought last Sunday at Abids. After I bought I felt that life was normal again.

Currently I am reading the Len Deighton trilogies and after I am through with them I plan to begin reading, or rather rereading all the John Le Carre titles that I have starting with ‘The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.’ I still have Deighton’s ‘Hope’ and ‘Charity’ to finish before I can begin on the le Carre titles. Next Sunday I will be able to resume my usual Sunday routine because the Budget sessions of the Telangana legislatures ended today ( 31 March) leaving all Sundays free for me. I just hope it wouldn’t too hot on Sunday.

No comments: