Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Sunday Haul (on 8-1-2017)

Abids in Hyderabad is the only place I know where one can buy a book (a second hand one) for as little as ten rupees only. A couple of years back one could get them for five rupees only but now it is ten rupees. For a long time I hadn't seen the ten rupee heaps at Abids but last Sunday I saw one such heap. In it I found a gem. I found 'Querelle of Brest' by Jean Genet. Though I haven't read the other Jean Genet title (The Thief's Journal) that I had found at Abids sometime back I picked up 'Qurelle of Brest' not for the price that I was getting it for but I had a feeling that it would be a good book.
The copy of 'Querelle of Brest' that I found was in good condition and I was glad at having spotted it. From the looks of it and the blurbs on the back by Edmund White and Cyril Connolly 'Querelle' promises to be an interesting read. I saw another title that I felt I should have picked up but for some reason I didn't. It was 'Johnny Got His Gun' by Dalton Trumbo. After I got home I checked out this title online and realized I was dumb not to have bought it. I hope to buy it next Sunday if no one has bought it by then.

No comments: