Friday, April 28, 2017

The Sunday Haul (on 23-04-2017)


For the world April 23 might be World Book Day but for me every Sunday is a Book Day. This year World Book Day fell on a Sunday when I make my weekly visit to the Sunday book bazaar at Abids which made it all the more reason to buy more books. Since the beginning of this year I’ve been consistently lucky in finding good titles at Abids almost every Sunday. The previous Sunday I had found ‘Gravity’s Rainbow’ by Thomas Pynchon, a mammoth book with nearly nine hundred pages. Last Sunday too I found two good books that I got cheap.
The first find was another cookbook to add to my growing collection of such books. I found a beautiful copy of ‘The Harekrishna Book of Vegeterian Cooking’ containing more than a hundred vegetarian recipes printed on glossy paper. It is a high quality book that I was glad I found and got for just fifty rupees. However I do not know when I will find use for it. So far I haven’t found use for any recipe book that I have bought over the years except on a couple of occasions.
The other book Uma spotted. It was a beautiful copy of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ by Ross Macdonald, one of my favourite crime fiction writers. I do not remember if I have this Ross Macdonald title in my collection but I bought it nevertheless. After flipping through the first few pages I realized that I haven’t read the book before so I bought it. It was in a good condition so I did not mind paying the sixty rupees the seller asked for it.
So that was how the World Book Day was for me.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

Bhai saab, what are you doing with all these cook books? :)

Vinod Ekbote said...

Collecting them for the time being :)