Friday, August 25, 2017

DOUBLE POST FRIDAY / POST-1: The Sunday Haul (on 20-8-2017)


Though I had a haul of eight books, six on Sunday and two more during the week, I could not stop myself from going to Abids on Sunday. The total haul of books that I had bought so far this year is somewhere around a hundred and twenty which looks like I am on the way to create new records. I was not in the mood to add any more books to this number, at least this Sunday or so I thought as I reached Abids. It was another cloudy, overcast morning and it looked like it would rain later in the day. Since I was alone I thought I’d be able to do the rounds quickly but it wasn’t so. I browsed until it was one in the afternoon and left with two books in the haul.
Of late I am getting drawn to books with mysterious sounding titles by writers I haven’t heard of. All such titles that I found so far turned out to be good books and one such title is ‘An Exile’ by Madison Jones that was a wonderful read. On Sunday I spotted a copy of ‘By Starlight’ by Thomas Sancton with one of the sellers. I leafed through the pages and read some passages at random and decided to buy it. It is a lengthy book running into four hundred pages but cost me only thirty rupees. I am not going to start reading it right away but will come to it sometime in the future.
I really do not remember if I had found ‘Dakshin’ by Chandra Padmanabhan and I am too lazy to check my blog. However, I spotted a beautiful copy of her other book ‘Southern Spice’ that I picked up right away. It was in mint condition without any blemishes or damage to it and I was glad to have found this copy that I got for a hundred rupees. It is one more addition to my large collection of cookbooks that is growing by the week. These two books were the only finds last Sunday.

No comments: