Friday, November 03, 2017

The Sunday Haul (on 29-10-2017)

This is the 1000th Post on this blog.

In the past due to either wrong judgment or overconfidence I missed buying some really good books at Abids. The following Sunday I try to locate the title after realizing my mistake but by then someone had already made away with the title. I missed several good titles that way, too many to be listed here. Once again I made the same mistake a couple of Sundays ago but last Sunday, however, I found a title I had missed on the previous Sunday. It was a huge relief to have found that title.
Two Sundays ago I had seen a copy of ‘Chinnery’s Hotel by Jaysinh Birjepatil at a seller near the GPO at Abids. I picked it up and took a look at the cover as I had not heard of the title or the author and put it back. It was a big mistake but I did not it then. The next Sunday, that is the Sunday before last, at Chikkadpally I saw ‘Khushwantnama-The Lessons of My Life’ by Khushwant Singh. I leafed through it and in one of the articles on writing in it I found a list of novels that made a deep impression on Khushwant Singh. One of the titles in the list was ‘Chinnery’s Hotel by Jaysinh Birjepatil. I felt like kicking myself for having not had the sense to pick it up the first time I saw it. I felt so bad that I did not buy ‘Khushwantnama’ thinking that it would remind me of the mistake I had made.
However, last Sunday I got lucky. When I reached the seller near GPO I looked carefully at the books spread out on the pavements and spotted ‘Chinnery’s Hotel by Jaysinh Birjepatil. It was a thrilling moment as I immediately pounced on it. The seller asked a hundred rupees for it that I paid gladly. Feeling expansive I wanted to savor the joy of finding a good title so I sat in Grand Hotel and leafed through Chinnery’s Hotel while sipping chai. I read that Jaysinh Birjepatil had written two more books-. I wonder why I had not read about this writer anywhere. But I was glad I found this book.
The icing on the cake was that I found ‘Khushwantnama’ too at Chikkadpalli and picked it up as well. I got this hard cover title with a beautiful cover for a hundred rupees. It has about to dozen short pieces on diverse topics that had appeared earlier in Outlook magazine, Hindustan Times, and The Tribune. Of all the articles I had been attracted by two- The Business of Writing and What it Takes to be a Writer. It was the latter article I had read standing and came across the list that had a dozen title of which ‘Chinnnery’s Hotel’ was one. There was another title- ‘The Hero’s Walk’ by Anita Rau Badami that I want to find next.

4 comments:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Congratulations, Guru garu ... thousand posts!! Great going ... and you also found Chinnery's Hotel ... must read it alongside Allan Sealy's Everest Hotel and see ...

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thank you, Jai.

Clamourous said...

Congratulations on the 1000th post! Look forward to the next 1000 😊

Vinod Ekbote said...

Clamorous, sure hope to go on blogging about books....