Friday, December 01, 2017

The Sunday Haul (on 26-11-2017)


It was a meagre haul that I had last Sunday at Abids. I found just two books, one of them a magazine. I am not in my normal moods in November somehow. Nothing seems to go right and vague memories of something that happened in this month in the past weigh me down. I try to get over the feeling but don’t usually succeed so I try to battle the lows by reading. I set out last Sunday hoping I would find something to cheer me up but I ended up with nothing much worth writing here.
Kerala happens to be one of the few states I haven’t visited so far. I had thought of visiting with family sometime next year so I am stocking up on information about places I can visit in Kerala and things that I can do. Sometime back I had found a book … and a couple of weeks ago at Landmark I saw a separate booklet called ‘The Best of Kerala’ that came free with the October-November issue of Conde Nast Traveller that I did not buy. Later I regretted not buying it and thought of picking it up sometime soon. However on Sunday I saw the same at Abids, a stand alone supplement that I got for just twenty rupees. After going through it I might make further plans for the Kerala trip.
Later at Chikkadpally I picked up a copy of ‘Regional Indian Food’ by Kishore Reddy. The book cover was bright and colourful and inside were photographs of some of the dishes along with their recipes. The recipes were for the usual Indian dishes and nothing special but I bought it because it was attractive and stood out. It was also quite cheap at fifty rupees. That was the haul on Sunday that left me vague feeling of disappointment. This vague feeling lasted almost all week and was responsible for my trip to the MR Books store at Begumpet yesterday.
I had come to the Deccan Pen Store at Greenland to buy a refill for the Sheaffer ball point pen I got as a gift recently. Unfortunately they did not have the refill and passing by the MR Book Store I stopped to take a look. A quick glance revealed the shelf had a copy of ‘The Good Muslim of Jackson Heights’ by Jaysinh Birjepatil I had got as a gift from Jai. I saw a copy of ‘Hollywood Animal’ by Joe Eszterhas that I was tempted to buy but didn’t. Then I spotted a beautiful copy of ‘Stet’ by Diana Athill that was almost brand new and far better than the two copies I have. I did not hesitate long before picking it up for hundred rupees. Strangely, I felt calm after I had bought my third copy of this title.

No comments: