Friday, February 16, 2018

The Sunday Haul (on 11-02-2018)


On some Sundays I am compelled to a brief visit lasting less than an hour at Abids. On such occasions I do a sort of whirlwind tour of some of the sellers where there is the possibility of finding something new. Last Sunday I had a function to attend and though I had decided in the morning not to go to Abids I changed my mind at the last minute and went. Even before I could go to the café at Abids to have chai with my friends I had already found two titles.
A long time back I had found a copy of Chandra Padmanabhan’s ‘Dakshin: Vegetarian Delicacies from South India’ that I had got quite cheap. Last Sunday I came across another copy but with a different cover. It was ina good condition and after some initial hesitation I bought it.
The second find too was another cookbook. I had bought a copy of Thangam Philip’s ‘Modern Cookery’ somewhere and so the name was familiar. I came across a copy of ‘A Touch of Spice’ that was in a good condition. It was a small, attractive book that I bought right away for just thirty rupees.
Though I wanted to check out other sellers I was running late to a function I had to attend so I left after just a little under an hour’s browsing at Abids that yielded two titles.

No comments: