Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Sunday Haul (on 8-7-2018)

Everything was normal at Abids last Sunday. The previous Sunday there were no books on the pavements because the overzealous traffic cops had not allowed the sellers to set shop because some hotshot VIP was passing through. The weather was fine and I had a friend along to browse with. I picked up two books and missed buying a title that I later felt I should have bought. I had seen a good copy of ‘A Whole Life’ by Robert Seethaler but the seller quoted a high price for it which deterred me from buying it. I hope no one’s bought it because next Sunday I am going for it.
One of the books I picked up last Sunday was ‘Word Watching’ by Julian Burnside that I got for eighty rupees. It is an interesting book with thirty nine essays about, what else, words. Another book I bought just for the cover. It was ‘The Best of Indian Cooking’ published by Bay Books that I got for only thirty rupees.
These were the only finds at Abids last Sunday. Even as I write this post sitting in front of the television watching the news the forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) is for heavy rain in Telangana. Outside it has already started raining and it looks like it is going to be a wet weekend ruining my weekly visit to Abids.

No comments: