Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Another Midweek Haul

Last Friday while on the way to Hitex, I spotted the second hand bookstore in Madhapur I remember seeing a couple of years back. I decided to check it out on the way back later in the evening. On the way home I stopped at ‘Liberty’ bookstore and picked up three titles that I couldn’t resist buying though I already possess two of the three titles.

A long time back I had seen a copy of ‘The Well of Loneliness’ at Abids but I did not buy it because I found it too bulky and the price too was not within my reach. Recently I had been thinking about all the good titles I had missed buying because I was too dumb to realize their value at that time. ‘The Well of Loneliness’ was one such title featuring in those thoughts of regret. But last Friday when I spotted it again I was once again reassured that when it comes to books I am very lucky.
The copy of ‘The Well of Loneliness’ by Radclyffe Hall I found was in a very good condition and I felt very glad having found this interesting title. However it runs into several hundreds of pages and I wonder when I would be able to find the time to read it.
The second find was a hard cover copy of ‘On Writing Well’ by William Zinsser which was clearly much used. I have a couple of copies of this title at home but I bought this copy as well since I have in mind someone to give it away to.
I have three copies of ‘The Maltese Falcon’ by Dashiell Hammett that I picked up at various times but I can never resist buying one more copy of this crime classic. It was a beautiful paperback copy that appeared to have been never opened. I got these three titles for three hundred rupees which was more than what I would have paid for them at Abids.

No comments: