Friday, May 31, 2019

Double Post Friday: Post 1: The Sunday Haul at Tiruvananthapuram

The Sunday before last I was in Tiruvananthapuram on a family vacation in Kerala. I had read about a few places where second hand books are available on a pavement in Tiruvananthapuram. However due to a tight schedule I was not able to look for them. But while returning to our hotel after lunch I spotted a familiar sight- books in tall piles on a pavement. I jumped out of the autorickshaw expecting, what with Kerala known for its high literacy and book crazy people, to find some wonderful title. Instead I found only the bestsellers I see everywhere. Just when I thought there would be nothing worth taking back home I spotted a copy of ‘Madame Sadayakko: The Geisha Who Bewitched the West’ by Lesley Downer that I immediately grabbed only for the sake of buying a book on Sunday rather than for the title.

No comments: