Friday, June 07, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 02-06-2019)


On Saturday there was a respite from the hot weather with cloudy skies and a cool breeze. I believed the weather would continue on Sunday too but I was disappointed. It was quite hot last Sunday when I reached Abids about an hour earlier than my usual time. Sunday was Telangana Formation Day and I had been to the Institute for the flag hoisting event. Soon after it was over I set out for Abids. It was the last Sunday of the Ramzan month so all the regular stores were open which meant that the second hand book sellers had to disperse to various corners of Abids other than their usual places in front of the regular stores.
The first find was an unusual book. I spotted a nice copy of ‘An Unquiet Mind’ by Kay Redfield Jamison lovingly encased in plastic by the previous owner. It was a memoir of mental illness by the author who was also a psychiatrist by profession. In fact she was ….which made the book more interesting. Inside there was high praise for the book but even without it I would have bought the book because I love reading memoirs.
The previous Sunday I had seen a copy of ‘Beloved’ by Toni Morrison that I did not buy right away. I decided to buy it on the way back after checking out other sellers. However I forgot about it somehow and it was only after I reached home I realized I had forgotten the book. I hoped no one would buy it and so passed the week in anxious anticipation though I already have a copy. Luckily I spotted it at the same spot last Sunday and took it. I got it for just fifty rupees.

No comments: