Friday, September 13, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 8-9-2019)

Last Sunday was one more rain-free one that ended with a three-book haul that I had made at the second hand book market at Abids. Somerset Maugham is another writer I like for his style of writing. I like to give copies of his books to whoever asks me for good books to read. I must have bought at least two dozen copies of his ‘Summing Up’ that I have given away to as many people. Another title of his that I have a couple of copies of is ‘The Razor’s Edge’ that, I am stupid enough to reveal, I am yet to read. Last Sunday I found yet another copy and it turned out to be in quite good condition though the edition of the copy I held was published in the year 1963. In fact it was with a seller who called me and took out several books from a large sack and showed them to me.

From that collection in the sack I found another title. It was a copy of ‘Karmayogi’ by Veena Nagpal that has a nude on the cover and it is the reason why I have not put its photograph. But the nude isn’t the reason why I bought the book. I have begun to pick up books in English written by Indian authors that were published in the 50s and 60s. There are so many such writers who have written several books but are not well known. One such author happens to be Veena Nagpal whose name I haven’t heard anywhere before and whose books also I haven’t found anywhere. So I decided to buy it and add it to my collection of such titles by authors such as Mayah Balse, Nergis Dalal and so on. It was published in 1972 and I got it for a hundred rupees.
It had been a long time since I had picked up a cookbook so when I saw a nice copy of ‘India’s Vegetarian Cooking’ by Monisha Bharadwaj at a seller at Chikkadpally I grabbed it. It was published in the UK and obviously meant for the Westerners. I got it cheap for only hundred rupees.

No comments: