Friday, December 13, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 08-12-2019)


I have to confess here that sometimes I become nervous thinking about all the books I have with me. I am overwhelmed by the thought that I may not have the time to read all of them even if I live to be seventy or more. That is, if I do not buy any more books and read only those that I have managed to pick up. Last Sunday I had picked up seven books at Abids and this Sunday I managed to pick up only three, thank god.
Ever since I read ‘Stet’ by Diana Athill I’ve become a fan of her writing and managed to find a couple of her memoirs. At Abids last Sunday I found another title by her- Make Believe. It was a brand new copy with a plastic wrapping around it that I bought for two hundred rupees. Since it was a brand new copy and a Diana Athill title I did not mind paying so much for the book though I wonder how the book got there.
Though I am not much of a movie watcher some movie titles are such that one cannot forget them. One such movie title is ‘Midnight Cowboy’ that stayed in my mind all these years, and last Sunday I found the actual novel- ‘Midnight Cowboy’ by James Leo Herlihy. I spotted it in a heap and bought it though the cover and the spine weren’t in such a good condition. I got it for thirty rupees.
The next title was one I picked up on a hunch. It was a nice copy of ‘Murder as Usual’ by Hugh Pentecost published by Keyhole Crime. It appeared interesting so I bought it. I got this one too with the same seller where I bought ‘Midnight Cowboy’ and got it at thirty rupees.

Bookstore news: The Bests Books branch at YMCA, Secunderabad has been shut down. An eatery has come up in its place!

No comments: