Friday, September 25, 2020

The Sunday Haul (on 20/09/2020)


While I’ve found a copy or two of Dashiell Hammett’s ‘The Glass Key,’ ‘The High Window,’ ‘The Big Knockover,’ ‘The Dain Curse,’ ‘Woman in the Dark,’ ‘The Continental Op,’  and ‘Red Harvest’ I have almost half a dozen copies of ‘The Maltese Falcon’ that I found over the years. I just noticed that I have two copies of ‘The Continental Op’ and only one copy of the rest of the titles I have listed above. Last Sunday I found my second copy of ‘Red Harvest’ by Dashiell Hammett.

The weather hadn’t been too good all last week with intermittent rain and cloudy skies. On Sundayvtoo the sky was cloudy but it did not rain when I reached Abids. The forecast was for rain, and in fact I got a notification to expect rain at one in the afternoon. I wanted to make a quick round of all the sellers, pick up anything I found interesting and leave before it began to rain. But unfortunately or fortunately I did not see anything interesting and also did not find any of the titles I had planned to buy that I had failed to buy in the previous Sundays.

On the way back home I stopped at the first seller at Chikkadpally and hit a gold mine. I found a copy of ‘The Interpreters’ by Wole Soyinka that I felt I already have. I was not sure but I did not want to miss buying it so I picked it up. Then I saw the copy of ‘Red Harvest’ y Dashiell Hammett. The cover made me feel that I did not have this title so I bought it too. Later when I went home and checked I realized I already have these two titles though the copy of ‘Red Harvest’ had a different cover than the one on the first copy I had bought long back.

No comments: