Friday, January 15, 2021

The Sunday Haul (on 10-01-2021)

 

Sometime last week I began reading ‘The Greek Myths’ by Robert Graves and it reminded me of the time I had seen a nice copy of ‘Histories’ by Herodotus at Abids a couple of years ago. I very much regretted not buying it since the seller had quoted a too high a price. It was a stupid decision I felt later. I thought I’d never come across such a book again but last Sunday another copy turned up at Abids! This time I simply picked up the book, paid the seller and thanked my stars for having found such a wonderful title. It runs into almost 700 pages and is quite a bulky tome but I know every line in that book is fascinating. I am very eager to read it.

By now I have bought almost all title by Marquez that I came across and have also read them. Last Sunday at Abids I saw a nice copy of ‘In Evil Hour’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez with a different cover and it made me wonder if I have this title at home. Not wanting to miss it I picked up this copy that I got for just fifty rupees.

A little later across the road I spotted a copy of ‘Everything I Never Told You’ by Celeste Ng. I have read about Celeste Ng but haven’t had the good fortune of coming across any title by her so when I saw this copy of ‘Everything I Never Told You’ by Celeste Ng I just grabbed it. I got it again for only fifty rupees.

I did not know about the novelist Tessa Hadley until I came across a beautiful copy of ‘The Past’ at Abids last Sunday. I thought I wouldn’t find any more good books after the three books I picked up till then but when I saw the copy of ‘The Past’ by Tessa Hadley I was surprised. It was the blurbs on the cover, especially the one by Zadie Smith- ‘Few writers give me such consistent pleasure’ that made me pick up the book. Even otherwise, without the blurbs I would have picked up the book just for the cover. I got this book also for only fifty rupees.

No comments: