Friday, October 07, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 25.09.2022)

The Sunday before last Sunday too I had made a good haul at Abids but I couldn’t write the post because I was very busy at work and did not get the time to sit and type it out. Since today and tomorrow are Dasara holidays for us I am writing the two posts at one go. It was a normal day on Sunday so there was no rain and I was at Abids at my usual time.

The first title I saw was a beautiful copy of ‘interesting times in India’ by Daniel O’ Connor with a seller who, to my surprise, gave it to me at the price I asked him. O’Connor taught at St Stephen’s College in Delhi for a decade and this book is a kind of memoir about that period. I got this book for eighty rupees.


 Actually I wasn’t prepared to find anything good more so anything by Javier Marias whose ‘Infatuations’ I had found a couple of weeks before, and had also finished reading just a few days before Sunday. So I very surprise when I saw a copy of ‘Between Eternities & Other Writings’ by Javier Marias with the same seller from whom I had bought ‘Infatuations’ sometime last month. I was quite excited when I read on the cover that it was a book of his non-fiction writing. I paid hundred rupees for it as it was in a pile of books selling for Rs 100 each.

In the same pile I also unearthed a copy of ‘Time after Time’ by Molly Keane with a wonderful cover. This too was for hundred rupees. I bought it since I saw that it was published by 'Abacus' and had a great blurb on the cover. 

The last title I found was a nice copy of ‘Walking with the Comrades’ by Arundhati Roy that I got for fifty rupees only. It is a short book of not more than a hundred and fifty pages so I want to finish reading it in one sitting sometime soon.

No comments: