Friday, August 18, 2023

The Sunday Haul (13.08.2023)


 It was a bountiful haul last Sunday at Abids with four good titles finding home on my bookshelf. The first find was a copy of ‘Dispossession; The Struggle for Palestinian Self-Determination’ by Edward Said with a seller near the GPO at Abids. It was in good condition and I felt glad I had found a good title. 


 Along with this title I also found a copy of ‘Alone Across the Atlantic’ by Francis Chichester with the same seller who gave me both these titles for just hundred and fifty rupees. I have another title by Francis Chichester that I found a long time ago at Abids but haven’t got around to reading it as it is quite a tome running into several hundred pages. 


A little further away with another seller I found a nice copy of ‘Heaven on Wheels’ by Firdaus Kanga, a title that I had been looking for sometime now. I had read about it and was interested in finding it as it was said to be a travel title. I got it for just seventy rupees. 


But the best haul of the day was not at Abids but at Chikkadpally where I stopped before going home. I almost did not stop since I had already found three good titles and did not want to buy any more books. I am glad I stopped because I spotted a copy of ‘Suttree’ by Cormac McCarthy that made me get down from my bike hurriedly and pick it up. I got this title for just a hundred rupees and boy was I glad because the copy I found was in very good condition. 

No comments: