Tuesday, July 06, 2010

News Joy

Rare are those days when one feels happy after reading the newspapers. Nowadays one feels only depressed after reading about the killings, suicides, deaths and other such tragedies that seem to fill the papers. But the other day there was something in the newspaper that brought a bit of cheer into my otherwise drab government life.

After two weeks of making the sort of tours that involved rushing out of my house at Suryapet early in the morning without even breakfast I finally got a break of one day. Last Wednesday, I decided to have breakfast at a different place near Anand’s in Suryapet. Breakfast over I bought the ‘Deccan Chronicle’ which is the only English newspaper I get in Suryapet. Later I walked over to Anand’s which is not very crowded at half past nine in the morning. I sat at a table and ordered ginger tea which would take another ten minutes to be ready. There’s something about reading the paper leisurely sitting in a hotel while waiting for your favorite beverage. It puts one in a relaxed mood.

There was something in the paper, an article that reflected something that happens in my life too often. An article titled ‘Daydreaming Fosters Creativity’ was featured somewhere in the middle pages. Daydreaming is something I am very good at since it is one of my favorite pastimes. I do it almost all the time even when I am in the office. I feel guilty about it but after reading the item I was pleased. It seems daydreaming is actually beneficial sometimes. It makes one creative and also helps one get through boring tasks.

There was also something in the paper that would have made my colleagues in the government everywhere happier had they found the time to read it. The first thing that crops whenever people discuss government staff is how inefficient, how corrupt and how this and how that they are. Never does anyone seem to have a good word for all my hardworking, sincere and honest colleagues in the government. In the ‘Hyderabad Chronicle’ supplement I read the account of a Delhi college girl (Devika Dutt of Hindu College, University of Delhi) who interned in a government department. This is what she wrote:

'I half expected to meet paan-chewing living-for-lunch government employees around every corner who laze around all day and make a stealthy getaway whenever they get the opportunity.

But surprisingly, most of the people here are hardworking and highly efficient. They run around doing all kinds of things the moment they step in. And some of them don’t even see the sun set because they are in office, working… I certainly have newfound respect for government employees.
'

It certainly made my day reading the blessed girl’s testimony. If only everyone thought like her.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

I agree with Devika Dutta. Some of the best brains, most conscientious and intensely committed people are found in the government and the PSUs. And it is amazing what they work for (many times despite severe constraints within and without) and with such integrity and courage. The good work done by these people shows in whatever we have achieved. And Vinod bhai, you are one of those well-read, well intentioned, straight, honest and dedicated officers! Good show and keep it up.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Hari, thanks a lot. I'll try to be what all you have made me out to be!