Friday, July 20, 2012

The Sunday Haul



A long time ago I got into the habit of writing down the titles of books I came across in other books that I was reading at that time. I just jotted down the titles and did not really intend to go looking for them. But I remembered the titles and whenever I came across any particular title I would unhesitatingly pick it up. Thanks to that list I found ‘Summing Up’ by Somerset Maugham, ‘Ex-Libris’ by Anne Fadiman, ‘How Reading Changed My Life’ by Anna Quindlen and ‘Ruined by Reading’ by Lynne Sharon Schwartz which are all books on books and reading that I, needless to say, am hopelessly addicted to. Another book on my list that I added sometime in the year 2000 was one that I did not ever intended or expected to find at Abids or anywhere was ‘Stet- An Editor’s Life’ by Diana Athill. It was another unbelievable stroke of luck that I found this wonderful book at Abids on Sunday very cheap.

If there is any experience comparable to finding a diamond among pebbles it is that of finding a rare title among unworthy books. Last Sunday while sorting through a heap of books selling for thirty rupees my eyes fell on ‘Stet’ the cover of which was covered by a film of dust. It was one of those rare moments when I felt like breaking into a jig but I contended with a stifled cry of exultation as I pulled the book out of the heap. I could say ‘Stet’ was the find of the year so far. For the rest of the day I felt like I was floating in air every time I looked at the book again and again after I got home. So far I’ve read only books by writers on their reading, favorite books, and their writing life but none by an editor. Of course, I have a title by a prominent publisher- Bennett Cerf’s ‘At Random’ but as I said earlier, nothing by an editor. Now that gap has been filled up.

The copy of ‘Stet’ I found had thin film of dust or mud maybe on the cover. After I wiped it off with a damp cloth the cover was as good as new. The book is in excellent condition with all the inside pages intact and free from any sort of notings or markings made by pen or pencil. It appeared like the book hadn’t been opened or read but dumped after having not been sold even at $ 1 as the round red label stuck on the cover shows. The actual price of the book as printed on the back cover is £ 7.99. But I paid only Rs. 30/ which is a fraction of the price. Lucky me.

No comments: