Thursday, April 11, 2019

THE SUNDAY HAUL (ON 07-04-2019)


Compared to the exciting day it was the Sunday before last in the company of Chandrahas Choudhury it was pretty normal this Sunday though the weather was harsher. If the previous Sunday I had picked up five titles then last Sunday I could find only two titles, cookbooks both. Somewhere along the line I developed an interest in collecting cookbooks especially those published earlier, more due to their fantastic covers than the recipes they featured.
I’ve never had the opportunity to enjoy Parsi fare so far in my life. I am not aware of any place offering Parsi dishes in Hyderabad but it doesn’t matter much because I am not particular about food. However I do like to pick up cookbooks I come across in Abids if they appear interesting enough. Last Sunday I spotted a good copy of ‘Enjoyable Parsi Cooking’ by Jeroo Mehta that had an attractive cover. I noticed that it was published in 1991 and was in a very good condition. I got it for just fifty rupees.
A little later I saw another nice looking cookbook- ‘Enduring Flavours-An Appreciation of East Indian Cuisine’ by Michael Swamy Fernandes. This book too had a very attractive cover and inside there was a nice introduction to the book along with illustrations. This title was published in 1999. At the back was a bibliography and one title listed in it was ‘The Cooking of India’ by Santha Rama Rau that I hope to find someday.
Coincidentally, these two cookbooks were published by the same publisher- Vakils, Feffer and Simons Ltd., Bombay.

No comments: