Friday, August 09, 2019

A Weekend Haul (on 03-08-2019)


On the two days it rained, Friday and Saturday I took the Metro to go to the Institute where I worked. On Saturday evening I decided to check out a second hand book store in Madhapur I check out often. I took the Metro to Durgam Cheruvu station and just under the station was the bookstore. I did not have anything specific in mind but just wanted to see what was on the shelves. Apart from books there was a lot of dust, a thick layer of it in fact on the books. I picked up five books in all but ended up buying only two.
On a previous book I had seen a book that appeared interesting because it was by a journalist who wrote about his interests in music, books, and paintings etc. Somehow I did not buy it thinking it would be quite boring. On this visit I saw it again and went through it a bit more carefully. It was a hardcover copy of ‘Enthusiasms’ by Bernard Levin, a journalist and he wrote about his enthusiasms which were books, architecture, walking, art, and so on. I decided to buy it after reading a few paragraphs which seemed to be to my taste.
Sometime back in November last year I had picked up a copy of ‘The L Shaped Room’ by Lynne Reid Banks at Abids. I looked for the post about it and I am surprised I had not written about finding it and had also not posted a picture of the book’s cover. Anyway, I had read the book and found it to be a wonderful story. I did not know then that it was the first title in a trilogy. Last Sunday at Abids I found the third title in the trilogy- ‘Two is Lonely’ by Lynne Reid Banks. I am glad I found it but it also means that I cannot read it until I find the second title of the trilogy which is ‘The Backward Shadow.’ I have no idea when and where I will find it.
I got these two books for hundred rupees each.

No comments: