Friday, September 04, 2020

The Sunday Haul (on 30-08-2020)

The Sunday before the last Sunday I had seen several interesting titles that I did not buy since I had bought enough. Last Sunday I planned to look for them and buy them if available. However I couldn’t find a single title that I had seen and either they had all been bought or they might not have made it to the pile. I wasn’t really heartbroken but disappointed. Sometimes I find them the following Sunday so I am not yet mourning for the loss of these titles one of which was a nice copy of ‘The Gentleman in the Parlour’ by Somerset Maugham. I already own a copy but the cover is a bit damaged. The copy I saw the other Sunday had a nice cover. I should have bought it. 



A few minutes after I had parked my two wheeler I spotted the first and only find in the Sunday Haul. I had been looking for this title since a long time and felt excited when at last I found it last Sunday. It was a beautiful copy of ‘From Heaven Lake’ by Vikram Seth. This was written after ‘A Suitable Boy’ I read somewhere inside. ‘From Heaven Lake’ is an account of Vikram Seth’s journey by foot from China to Delhi via Tibet sometime in the 1980’s when he was studying in China.  I was very pleased to find this title since on Friday I had found another title on Tibet at a second hand bookstore. I did not mind paying more than a hundred rupees for it.

On Friday last I had been to the office to catch up on some necessary paperwork, and to attend a meeting. On the way back home I stopped at a second hand bookstore in Khairatabad, the Unique Books store to see if there was anything interesting to pick up. The store has a nice collection and I like to drop in there at least once a month. I saw a copy of ‘Seven Sacred Rivers’ by Bill Aitken that I wanted to buy but when I saw a copy of ‘Tibet, Tibet’ by Patrick French I put it aside and bought Patrick French’s book. I want to read both these books one after the other to know what they thought of the places they went to and the people they met.



No comments: