Friday, November 13, 2020

The Sunday Haul (08-11-2020)


Since it was festival time with Diwali less than a week away the second hand booksellers at Abids in Hyderabad were not at their usual places before the regular stores which kept their doors open for Diwali shoppers. Many of them were at different places and for the regular shoppers it meant searching for them. I was there before noon last Sunday at Abids looking for titles to pick up. Somehow all the titles I am missing buying one Sunday seem to be missing the next. Even then I deliberately am not picking up titles that I should have. For example I saw a nice copy of Kavery Nambisan’s ‘Mango Coloured Fish’ that I did not pick up. I hope I can find it next week.

I ended up buying nothing at Abids but at Chikkadpally one of the sellers had a title that I bought. It was an uncorrected proof copy of ‘The American Lover’ by Rose Tremain. It is a collection of thirteen short stories that I bought for a hundred rupees.

The American Lover

Captive

The Jester of Astapovo

Extra Geography

A View of Lake Superior in the Fall

Man in the Water

Juliette Greco's Black Dress

The Housekeeper

Smithy

Blackberry Winter

Lucy and Gaston

The Closing Door

21st-Century Juliet



The most interesting thing finding the book was something I found inside the book. Wedged among the pages was a boarding pass in the name of Andrew McElroy for an Istanbul to Bombay flight of Turkish Airlines on 08 October but the year was not mentioned. It looked about two decades old. 

No comments: