Friday, January 29, 2021

The Sunday Haul (on 24/01/2021)

Winter seems to be on its way out already in Hyderabad. It was a bit warm on Sunday morning at Abids as I began my weekly hunt for books in the second hand book market. In no time it would be summer I am sure if the temperature on Sunday was anything to go by. The previous Sunday I had seen a nice copy of ‘Dangerlok’ by Eunice de Souza but hadn’t picked it up. So this Sunday this was the first title in the haul that I got for a hundred rupees. It is a small book not more than 125 pages in all that I finished reading in a couple of hours after I got home.

The next find was a title I already have several copies of. In a pile of books being sold for twenty rupees I found a copy of ‘Riding the Iron Rooster’ by Paul Theroux. It was in an okay condition except for slight damage to the cover but the pages themselves were intact. I love this book and so bought it. These were the two titles I found at Abids before I left. On the way there were a couple of sellers at Chikkadpally and one at the corner of the RTC Crossroads junction.

At the RTC Crossroads junction I saw a copy of ‘The Naked I’ edited by Frederick R. Karl and Leo Hamalion. The cover was torn in a couple of places but it appeared an interesting book. It had stories/extracts from books from the seventies by Jorge Luis Borges, Dylan Thomas, Leonard Cohen, R.D. Laing and others. In all it had 24 fiction pieces and three non-fiction pieces and at thirty rupees it was a steal.

No comments: