Friday, April 09, 2021

The Sunday Haul (on 04-04-2021)

The Saturday before last when I dropped in at a hospital to enquire about the vaccination process I didn’t know I would end up getting my first dose of the vaccine. It happened so quickly and so smoothly that I was surprised and also very pleased. However in the evening I developed a fever and spent the whole of Sunday in bed. Which is why there was no blog post last Friday about the Sunday haul because I had to give Abids a miss. I spent a miserable week waiting for yet another Sunday.

After a week’s deprivation of books last Sunday I was terribly pleased to return to Abids. Add to that pleasure it wasn’t as hot as I had expected since the temperature was touching 40 degrees C in Hyderabad. I went around eyes darting around the hundreds and thousands of books laid out on the pavements of Abids hoping something would catch my attention.

Half hour of such browsing I spotted a copy of ‘Kitchen Privileges’ by Mary Higgins Clark which turned to be her memoir. I am a sucker for memoirs and autobiographies of writers and have several dozens of such titles and so picked it up though I have never read anything by Mary Higgins Clark. Next time I find anything by her I am going to pick it up and read it before reading ‘Kitchen Privileges.’ It was a hard cover copy with jacket in good condition and I paid only seventy rupees for it.

My next find also turned out to be a sort of memoir. I found a copy of ‘Performing Flea’ by PG Wodehouse on a wooden shelf with a seller in the Hollywood lane. Though the seller had written 90/- on the front page he gave it to me for just fifty rupees. Sometime back I had found the same 

No comments: