Friday, May 07, 2021

An Online Haul


Last Sunday I couldn’t go to Abids as there was a wedding in the family. My niece’s marriage was on Sunday, the 2nd of May so there was no way I could go to Abids as it was held at noon and I was busy all day. The marriage was originally scheduled last December but due to travel restrictions and problems of leave from the office my niece couldn’t make it to India so it was postponed. Even though the pandemic was raging all around we had to conduct the marriage after following all precautions to the extent possible.

However, I did not really miss books though I missed going to Abids last Sunday.  About two weeks ago I had claimed a book on a WhatsApp sale by a second hand book seller. In that sale I came across ‘True Grit’ by Charles Portis that I instantly claimed. I had been on the lookout for this title after I read a few references to it in reviews online.  I had wondered if I would be able to get it here in Hyderabad but luckily I found it online. It was delivered last Thursday and I was more than happy to see it on my table when I returned from work.

The copy of ‘True Grit’ by Charles Portis that I got was a beautiful almost new copy that was lovingly encased in a plastic jacket. I think I paid Rs 200 for it including the postage charges. I am filled with an indescribable joy holding the book in my hand and feeling that I now own a good book.  I am glad I was able to claim it before anyone on the group did though later I saw that no one had claimed it.

In these times of anxiety and despair at the damage the virus is wreaking across the world reading is the only thing that is keeping me sane.

2 comments:

shivam_singh said...

Hello sir.
I was a trainee at MCRHRDIT at 1st FC for MES officers during 2019 and was also a part of the journal club. But it is only recently that I discovered your blog and have truly enjoyed reading your posts. I now wish I had interacted with you more during my stay at the institute. I would love to pay you a visit whenever I am in Hyderabad next.
Stay safe and keep writing sir!

Vinod Ekbote said...

Shivam, thanks!
Sure, we can meet.