Friday, August 27, 2021

The Sunday Haul (on 22-08-2021)

 

After Chinua Achebe, Ngugi is my favourite African writer. His first title that I found was ‘Devil On the Cross,’ and recently I attended an event in Hyderabad where he was the chief guest. I was thrilled to get his signature on a copy of ‘Dreams in the Time of War’ and ‘Petals of Blood’ that I had carried with me to the event.  Over the years I have managed to find quite a few Ngugi titles at Abids mostly, and last Sunday I saw a copy of ‘Weep Not, Child’ by Ngugi Wa Thiong’O that was in an okay condition. I got it for only fifty rupees from a miserly seller.

There are very few, not even a handful, travelogues by Indian writers. Recently I have found ‘Detours’ by Salil Tripathi, and am in the process of getting another such title. But last Sunday I found a nice copy of ‘If it’s Monday then it Must be Madurai’ by Srinath Perur of which I had heard a lot. I have been looking for this title since long so when I found it at last in Abids I was quite excited. I am waiting for another travel book that I bought on a WhatsApp sale last week, to be delivered. The book is 'All the World's a Spittoon' by Sumit Sawhny. My collection of travelogues by Indian writers is slowly growing and one day I will post a blog about them. 

 

No comments: