Friday, February 25, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 20-02-2022)

If the temperature on Sunday morning in Hyderabad was anything to go by then summer is not very far off. It wasn’t hot but a bit too warm. There was the usual crowd looking at the books spread out on the pavements by the regular sellers. Somehow I did not find many titles worth picking and in the end managed to find only one book.

A couple of years ago I had picked up a copy of ‘The Africans’ by David Lamb that I read soon after and was very impressed by David Lamb’s writing. I did not know then that he had also written a similar book titled ‘The Arabs’ that I found soon afterwards. However I am yet to read it since I had decided to read all the books I can find on a particular region, or country or people in keeping with my developing interest in history and geopolitics. Luckily, last Sunday I came across a nice copy of ‘The Closed Circle- An Interpretation of the Arabs’ by David Pryce-Jones.

The paperback copy I found was published in 1990 and runs into almost four hundred and fifty pages. I read the first few paragraphs in the introduction and some random paragraphs in the inside pages and was instantly hooked. Since I am currently reading other titles I want to read ‘The Closed Circle’ sometime in the near feature. Btw, I got this copy for a hundred and fifty rupees.

No comments: