Friday, August 04, 2023

The Sunday Haul (31-07-2023)

 It did not rain last Sunday, mercifully since it had rained all through the other week. It was cloudy though but no sign of any rain. As usual I rushed to Abids and returned home with three good titles. 


The first find was a nice copy of ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ by John Boyne that I bought right away. I had come across many copies in the past but none of them were in a good enough condition. So when I found an almost new copy I picked it up for fifty rupees.

 


The second find was at the seller who has copies of new and almost new titles in the piles he displays. I found a nice hard cover copy of ‘The Pleasures of Leisure’ by Robert Dessaix that I got for hundred and fifty rupees. I read that Robert Dessaix was an Australian writer since I had not heard of his name anywhere before. Anyway I was pleased to find this non-fiction title that I have already started reading. 


I found a most interesting title that I seemed to have read about somewhere very recently. I do not know where I read about ‘Christ Stopped at Eboli’ by Carlo Levi but when I read that title on the cover of a tattered looking book I stopped and picked it up. I was pretty excited finding this book that I got for only twenty rupees. Now I want to recollect where it was that I read about this title recently. 

No comments: