Wednesday, August 22, 2007

THIS SUNDAY'S HAUL OF BOOKS

THE SUNDAY BOOK HAUL

Last Sunday I got a modest haul of good books at Abids during my weekly book hunt. The first find was Elmore Leonard's 'The Law at Randado' which I got for twenty five rupees only. It was in good condition and I am a major fan of ELmore Leonard. There's another book of his, 'Pronto' I am eyeing. I have seen a good hardcover copy of this book somewhere in Secunderabad and I plan to pick it up soon. There's a copy of his classic 'Get Shorty' in Abids. Nobody seems to be interested in it. If it is there next week then I will pick it up. I already have a hard cover copy of this book with me.

The second find was a book I picked up from a heap being sold for ten rupees. It was Pete Dexter's 'Paris Trout' and the best thing was it was in good condition. From the rack it has come to the heap because earlier I noticed it on a rack with one of the sellers here. The guy was asking fifty rupees for it but I didn't bite. Now I got the book for one fifth of the price. Patience pays.

The last book of the day was a pick from another heap, one in the lane near Dayal's. It was Stephen King's 'The Shining'. I got this 450 plus pages whopper (it also has four pages of photographs from the movie of the same name) for only ten rupees. This was the best find of the day. I had read his other books- Cujo, Christine- ages ago but now I plan to read his other books one by one. His other non-fiction book- On Writing- is one book I will never tire of reading. I have two copies of it.

I also saw Narinder Pani's 'The Last Post' but I am hesitating to buy it. Maybe next week I will buy it. I also saw Peter Matthiessen's 'Snow Leopard' in the ten rupee heap. I already have a copy of this book. This month is proving to be one of lucky book finds.

No comments: