Thursday, May 29, 2008

Another Midweek Haul

Of late I have developed the habit of giving myself small rewards on reaching specific goals I set for myself. The other day I managed to cross fifty pages of typing my manuscript so I decided to get a reward. The only reward I could think of was a book so yesterday evening I dropped in at a second hand bookstore to pick up a book I had seen on a previous visit. It was a book of essays by Richard Crasta, the title of which escapes me now. They seem to have misplaced the book which I had told them to keep aside. They searched high and low while I went around looking if I could find anything else that was interesting.

Ultimately they couldn’t locate the book and told me they would look for it again later. I was not totally disappointed since I found another copy of Elmore Leonard’s bestseller- 'Get Shorty'. It was a good copy and I picked it up for fifty rupees. Prices in second hand bookstores are steep compared to the rates on the pavements of Abids on Sundays.

I already have a hardcover copy of this book and have already read it. I might read it again soon. ‘Get Shorty’ has been made into a movie. I plan to catch it on the television sometime soon. If I can lay my hands on a VCD it would be wonderful. Meanwhile, one of the blurbs in the pages inside best describes ‘Get Shorty’- ‘There’s nobody like Elmore Leonard. GET SHORTY is as fast, lively and funny as anybody would want.’ No second opinion about it.

No comments: