Friday, May 02, 2008

Finding a Simple Fountain Pen



The same day that I had been to the sale at AA Husain at Abids I also bought myself a new fountain pen. It had been quite a long time since I had gone without buying a new one. I was walking back to the office when I decided to check out a stationer’s that I have been seeing for a long time but had never checked out. It was ‘Hina’ on the Abids main road. For all my needs of fountain pens and other stationery requirements I go to Deccan Pen Stores but that day I went into ‘Hina’.

I checked for fountain pens in the display and saw a couple of them. They were all of one brand- ‘Doctor.’ The fountain pens were lightweight but deceptively thick. They were simple, elegant and inexpensive. The one I bought cost me only forty rupees. I bought one in what can be called as a turquoise color which was the color of the cap for the barrel was totally transparent. I wanted a simple fountain pen like it for my daily jottings in the office where I am one of the few who use fountain pens.

There were two others of the same model but in a dull grey color and I didn’t fancy them. Using it would make me look like an ancient file pusher which I am not. I could hardly wait to get back to office. I got ink filled in it ( I keep a bottle of Quink at office) and tested the new pen. The nib was surprisingly smooth considering the price I paid for it. It wrote beautifully and I was glad I had picked it up. Sometimes such impulsive purchases turn out to be better than things on which you have spent a lot of money and effort.

No comments: