Friday, May 29, 2009

Hanging Out at Odyssey

Recently, the day before in fact, I was at the Odyssey store at Jubilee Hills along with Hari. He had fixed to meet someone at the store so I tagged along to see what the Jubilee Hills types were up to. While we were inside CCD having coffee I saw a young and famous Tollywood director enter the store with a pretty young thing in tow. He was quite famous, having directed a movie that broke all records and earned him crores of moolah but nobody in the store paid any attention to him. The young lady was quite good looking but I thought she couldn’t be a Tollywood actress because she actually took out a book from the racks and read for a few minutes. (I know two three who read- Sonali Bendre, Sophie Choudry and Shriya Saran.)

Anyway, looking around the store I saw that a book I had spotted when the store was inaugurated almost a year ago, was still there in the same place I had seen it. It was Cartier’s ‘The Art of Writing’ which was all about Cartier fountain pens. It is a coffee table book that was expensive, something around five thousand or so I remember. I had found the same book in the book fair last year where I got it for just three hundred and fifty bucks. If the book still remains unsold I guess it shows that there aren’t many people in Hyderabad who love fountain pens and if there are, all of them might not have visited the store.

Another book I saw was Elmore Leonard’s ‘Cat Chaser’ that I briefly wondered whether to buy or not. Similar was the dilemma with Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s book of short stories. Now I feel that I should have picked up the book of short stories. In fact I would have picked up all those books if I had happened to make a pile like the Tollywood director did. One thing I noticed was that the sales assistants at Odyssey were quite helpful. You only had to look around helplessly before finding an eager and smiling feller before you asking how he could help you. Of course, those at the cash counter were even more polite, greeting you and actually smiling at you, something which I rarely see in other places.

Also by then I had bought the ‘Holiday Special’ issue of Tinkle, the May 2009 issue of ‘Tinkle’ and a sketch book for my kid so I was way over budget. I might drop in after pay day and if I find Marquez’s book of short stories, then it is mine. Assuming, of course, that none of this blog's Hyderabadi readers who love Marquez hare off to Odyssey and pick it up before I do!

6 comments:

Space Bar said...

I promise I won't filch the Marquez!

But wait - weren't there any books on sale? Until a few weeks ago they had some books on sale upto 40%. I was there recently to quickly pick up a gift for a kid's b'day and not only did they have a very poor selection of Indian writing for kids, the sales people - friendly though they were - were clueless. I wish they knew something about books.

Vetirmagal said...

Hi,

You can countem out, I have not come to read Marquez yet :-)

I too picked up a big book (books) from Odyssey the other day. It is the Mahabharatha modern rendition by Menon.Costly indulgence, but once a year it is good to buy new books.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Sridala, thanks for leaving Marquez alone. Yes, the sale was on but as you said there weren't many good books.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Vinod...the Marquez is yours...pay day is close...what happened to the Eco? Read it and you'll start running after the 'Eco'...

Vinod Ekbote said...

Vetri, you must read Marquez if you haven't yet.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai, I'll read it soon. There was a book of his essays 'On Literature' at Odyssey but it was too highly priced.